Emarsys Survey Finds SMBs Quickly Adapting to the Omnichannel Paradigm to Compete
81% of Retail Professionals Still Rely on Email as a Driver for Customer Acquisition and 80% for Customer RetentionIndianapolis, IN – June 7, 2016 - Emarsys, the leading provider of cloud marketing software for B2C companies, has released the results of its in-person and online survey of 254 retail professionals published in partnership with WBR Digital. The survey, Adapting to the Pace of Omnichannel Commerce examines how US-based small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) with annual revenues under $100 million are handling fierce competition from today’s larger retail players. Based on the findings of top retail SMBs surveyed:
- 81% of SMBs still rely on email as a driver for customer acquisition, and 80% for customer retention;
- 73% of retailers rank email as a top budget item, with one in five ranking it as a top priority to invest;
- SMBs saw gains in major KPIs: conversion rates increased by 72%, average order value increased by 65%, and repeat customer purchases increased by 58%;
- 70% of SMBs begin holiday planning no later than July; and
- 54% of SMBs identified cart abandonment emails as the most successful marketing tactic and site-based recommendations came in second at 47%.
- SMBs in B2C retail are developing omnichannel strategies around proven success.
- Faced with strong competition from larger players, SMBs are spending more time preparing for the critical holiday shopping season.
- SMBs are attempting to bring more advanced technology to the fore, and keep pace with omnichannel innovations by linking the digital experience with the brick-and-mortar experience, while investing in mobile commerce capabilities.